Sunday, November 23, 2008

Still condemning same-sex marriages?

I wrote a note this weekend about same-sex marriage and the fight for LGBTQ people to have equal rights. After reading more articles and hearing more arguments against same-sex marriage, I thought I’d offer another view and opinion.

Many of the people that oppose same-sex marriage use their religion as an argument, often saying that homosexuality is a sin and that’s why we should fight it and ban same-sex marriage.

I’ll entertain the idea that homosexuality is a sin for this note. (I don’t believe people have a choice in their sexual orientation. Ask someone you know that’s gay if they chose to be gay. I’m sure they’ll all say “no.” Why would someone chose a lifestyle that alienates them, can often cause them to lose friends and family, and be denied rights in this country?) But I’ll go along, for the purpose of this note, and say that yes, it’s a choice and it’s a sin.

So we’re now denying people civil rights because of a sin in their life. Since you say being gay is a sin, I’m guessing you’re using a religious text, such as the Bible and can probably point out Romans 1. What I want you to do is skip over to Romans 3:23 where it says, “For all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God.” Hmm. Need to reread that passage? What was the second word? ALL? Who sins? ALL. Interesting.

According to the Bible, and in the same book as the main passage that people use against homosexuality, everyone sins.

So my question is this: Why aren’t we taking away everyone’s civil rights? And do certain groups get to pick which rights are taken away from other groups?
Well, I believe drinking alcohol is wrong. So I want to take away the rights of Presbyterians to consume alcohol since a lot of them drink alcohol.

I’m playing about the alcohol part. I don’t think consuming alcohol is wrong and I have no problems with Presbyterians. I picked Presbyterians because one of my good friends, who will likely read this, is Presbyterian.

But do you get my point? If we can discriminate against a group because we perceive their lifestyle or a part of their life as sinful, then aren’t we being hypocritical, because we’re all sinners, according to the same Bible with which same-sex marriage opponents condemn LGBTQ persons and their relationships.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: