Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Facebook stalker & gay marriage.

This is a recent message I received from a "friend" on Facebook. I always post notes on Facebook about issues in which I have a special interest. Usually this person responds on the notes with the same points. As many times as I've pointed out the fallacies in her arguments, she still brings them up.

A couple of days ago she sent me a message. She admitted she did not know if the email she received was real or made-up for the purpose of the message.

Here is her initial message, my response, her response, and my second response. As of this moment she has not emailed me back. (I will be editing just to remove names from messages.)

First message

Hey Tina,
Below is an e-mail that my former roommate... sent me when she and I were roommates in 2003-04. On top of homosexuality being against the Bible, this e-mail makes another point that makes me against gay marriage: if gay marriage is legalized, no telling what will come next, and even if some people think gay marriage is okay, I'm sure most people would be grossed out by sexual relations with animals, and I know incest relationships are not even smiled on today. As the AFA has put it, the LGBT community does NOT really want marriage; if they did, they would be marrying each other like crazy in Sweden. What they want is the freedom to practice homosexuality however they wish. Even people in Key West, a HAVEN for gays, don't feel comfortable talking about it anymore. Anyway, the story, which is probably untrue but still makes a good point, is below.

Scene: a San Franciso court room.
the judge is handing out marriage licenses
>
>-- "Next."

"Good morning. We want to apply for a marriage license."
>
>"Names?"

"Tim and Jim Jones."
>
>"Jones: Are you related? I see a resemblance."
>
>"Yes, we're brothers."
>
>"Brothers? You can't get married."
>
>"Why not? Aren't you giving marriage licenses to same gender couples?"
>
>"Yes, thousands. But we haven't had any siblings. That's incest!"
>
>"Incest?" No, we are not gay."
>
>"Not gay? Then why do you want to get married?"
>
>"For the financial benefits, of course. And we do love each other.
Besides,
>we don't have any other prospects."
>
>"But we're issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples who've
been
>denied equal protection under the law. If you are not gay, you can get
>married to a woman."
>
>"Wait a minute. A gay man has the same right to marry a woman as I have
But
>just because I'm straight doesn't mean I want to marry a woman. I want
to
>marry Jim."
>
>"And I want to marry Tim, Are you going to discriminate against us just
>because we are not gay?"
>
>"All right, all right. I'll give you your license. Next."
>
>"Hi. We are here to get married."
>
>"Names?"
>
>"John Smith, Jane James, Robert Green, and June Johnson."
>
>"Who wants to marry whom?"
>
>"We all want to marry each other."
>
>"But there are four of you!"
>
>"That's right. You see, we're all bisexual. I love Jane and Robert, Jane

>loves me and June, June loves Robert and Jane, and Robert loves
>June and me. All of us getting married together is the only way that we
can
>express our sexual preferences in a marital relationship."
>
>"But we've only been granting licenses to gay and lesbian couples."
>
>"So you're discriminating against bisexuals!"
>
>"No, it's just that, well, the traditional idea of marriage is that it's

>just for couples."
>
>"Since when are you standing on tradition?"
>
>"Well, I mean, you have to draw the line somewhere."
>
>"Who says? There's no logical reason to limit marriage to couples. The
more
>the better. Besides, we demand our rights! The mayor says the
constitution
>guarantees equal protection under the law. Give us a marriage license!"
>
>"All right, all right. Next."
>
>"Hello, I'd like a marriage license."
>
>"In what names?"
>
>"David Deets."
>
>"And the other man?"
>
>"That's all. I want to marry myself."
>
>"Marry yourself? What do you mean?"
>
>"Well, my psychiatrist says I have a dual personality, so I want to
marry
>the two together. Maybe I can file a joint income-tax return."
>
>"That does it! I quit!! You people are making a mockery of marriage!!"


I will post responses in separate posts.

No comments: